WRDM TOO HOT FOR TV

That Dabbler Article

Kevin Smear reports for WRDM:

In 1993 March 2013, David Letterman The Dabbler made the controversial choice not to air publish a stand-up an article set by legendary late comic Bill Hicks blogger Tonka, bowing to pressure from network execs shadowy internet puppet masters who said it would be offensive to their target audience. Friday night In time, Letterman The Dabbler had Hicks’s will have Tonka's mother mother, Mary Liz, on as a guest the site apologized to apologise to her, and showed will publish the banned set article for the first time. In case you missed it you're dead by the time they do, here it is:


\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

What is a DVD? What is a box set? What is a DVD box set? What are the current top 3 DVD box sets available in the shops near YOU today? Find out by continuing to read these words until the end of the sentence before clocking down to the following paragraph of this article, which will introduce you to the answers.


I'm a massive film fan. I also like the little ones. I go to the pictures at least 4 times a year, and when winter comes around I dust off my Blockbuster card, sign up for Loveflix and Netfilm, and live entirely on popcorn and cola. Some of my friends even call me Freddy Film!



The first DVD box set I remember watching was the 3 x VHS Star Wars Trilogy when I was 19. Santa left it for me on Christmas morning. I'll never forget the unique packaging; three individual plastic video boxes, modestly devoured by a gold (coloured) cardboard box with Darth Vader's face on the front. Even though I’d already seen Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 on the telly I couldn't wait to watch the box set! I ran upstairs to my bedroom straight after breakfast and hungrily (I skipped breakfast) stripped the cellophane from the gold (coloured) cardboard image of Darth Vader. I paged my mother and asked her to bring some toast up for me. Within minutes I had lemon curd and crumbs dripping suggestively down my chin as the opening bars of George Lucas’s famous “Dur durr du du durrrr, durr durr durr...” song delivered itself into my ear holes. Barring toilet breaks, Christmas lunch, the Queen’s speech, Top of the Pops and my nan’s visit, I did not leave that bedroom until the bit at the end of the Star Wars 3 credits where The Emperor's head bursts out of the water to say “I’ll be back.”  I love DVD box sets.



Review 1


Polish Cinema Classics / Volume II
Release date: 25 March 2013


The Dabbler is not just a culture blog for the posh and old, it’s a culture blog for the pretentious too. With that in mind, let me pull Polish Cinema Classics Volume II out of my Marlborough satchel and, after I’ve made room on my shiro walnut coffee table by removing last quarter’s copy of Bedeutung, slap it down to impress you. This box set is not out in the shops until 25 March, but when I went to the Polish Embassy to enquire about my granddad I saw a moody courier drop a pallet-load of DVDs in reception. I signed for them, said “dzień dobry” and stuck one of the DVDs inside my pale green Adidas hold-all. I’d just nicked a DVD box set from the Rzeczpospolita that was to change my life...forever.


Polish Cinema Classics Volume II is the much anticipated follow up to Polish Cinema Classics Volume I and if, like me, you didn’t realise that Poland made films you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what’s on offer here. Zanussi. Wajda. Marczewski. Illumination. Promised Land. Escape From ‘Liberty’ Cinema. Names and flicks that are in no way familiar to you, me, Bafta and Oscar, but in Poland these guys rule the roost and their movies rule the (movie) industry!

I haven’t watched any of the films yet but according to Amazon, The Promised Land is an epic, Oscar-nominated tale of greed, human cruelty, exploitation and betrayal. That alone must be worth the £26.20 they’re going to charge you. So, my advice is to learn a bit of Polish, get some Żywiec inside you and start queuing up outside Amazon TONIGHT to avoid disappointment on the 25th.


Polish Cinema Classics / Volume II
7/10



Review 2


Call The Midwife / Series 2
Release date: 1 April 2013


The chunky and juicy star of Hyperdrive, Monday Monday and Miranda, Miranda Hart, returns for an uproarious second series of the funniest wartime-era BBC sitcom since My Dad’s In The Army. It’s World War II and things have moved on since the first series, Call The Midwife Series 1. Earl Kitchener’s suicide is all but a distant memory for Chummy (Hart) as she now sets her sights on Thorvald Stauning, the hunky new Danish PM, after his six week invitational to the British Isles is limited to a mystery mid-term stay in a jaunty hospital, taken over by a wacky midwifery squad, which only so happens to be smack bang in the middle of the Blitzy east end of London.

Hart leads, and excels amongst, a steady ensemble of character actors, none of whom I know the name of. So, get the old folk round, let them bore you about how war really was and settle down for almost 8 hours of warm-hearted slapstick and nonsense from Great Britain’s foremost lady entertainer. Roll on Series 3! And 4.


Call The Midwife / Series 2
8/10



Review 3


The Wagner Collection
Out now


I’ve recently been reading Human, All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche. I crack it open on the tube on the way back from work. I use the Jubilee line and get intimidated by the men in pinstripe suits who read the Financial Times so, in December last year, I bought Ulysses. People know not to mess if you’re sat there reading that. I got really bored after 100 pages though so I went to that book shop in London and asked the chap in there what’s good to read if I want to make people think I’m clever and look like I’m knowing what I’m doing in life, instead of looking like I’m thinking about dance music. The booky, bearded, bespectacled bloke bent down to reveal a beautiful bald patch. I felt myself swoon as he lifted his face, looked me in the eyes and smiled before adjusting his turn-ups. A warm, soft hand reached out...and he held it.

Without saying a word we were gliding, hearts-a-flutter through the Sport section...quickening our pace, inspired and spiritually powered forward by the immortal heroes of London 2012. Onwards. Together. Heroes of our own recent history. Coquettishly smirking as a flurry of political biographies whizzed past. Thatcher! Mandleson! Coe! Williams! Widdecombe! Ahern! Oh, Ahern...names forever etched in my heart as we approached the Philosophy section. Sweating, I clocked the bookman’s badge and nervously spluttered, “wh-what are we doing here, Paul?” Without warning, and with eye-contact not withstanding, he casually pointed towards the books beginning with N and coughed before telling me, “reading Nietzsche should make you look clever. Tills are one minute that way, past the Education and left before Travel.”

Paul strode confidently back towards Humour and I sighed a romantic sigh whilst fiddling with my wedding ring.

Nietzsche used to be friends with Wagner but he hates him now.


The Wagner Collection
9/10

Judging by those reviews, I would recommend buying The Wagner Collection on DVD.


\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

That was fucking shit. I'll be back with more banging dance news and reviews in a few days.

That was fucking shit. I'll be back with more banging dance news and reviews in a few days.

That was fucking shit. I'll be back with more banging dance news and reviews in a few days.











































This post was just content filler before next week's proper posts that I haven't finished yet. There'll probably be a review of tonight's party at Loft Studios and more details on the podcast series, WRDMFM. Please bear with me. WRDM will pick itself up again very soon and the quality you now expect will be restored and, hopefully, improved upon.